Welcome to my new blog. Hope you all are doing great 🙂
We all know how difficult is to handle a toddler and when it comes to handling them while travelling, it can be a nightmare for many of us :(. Toddlers are packed with energy and they do not like to be restricted thus making them sit at one place for long hours is as difficult as nailing jelly to a tree.
Till now I have travelled four times with my daughter on an International flight and trust me every time was a different experience for me but definitely, it got better each time because of my learning from the previous travel.
Before my first travel, I was completely freaking out and searching for some tricks and tips for flying with a toddler. Some helped me, some don’t but somehow I figured out some basic tips which can be helpful for almost every one of us. Today I am here to share Tips which proved to be a saviour for me when I was travelling alone with my daughter.
So without further ado, Let`s jump into the Tips
MENTALLY PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR A TRAVEL
This is an Imperative tip I would suggest. I truly believe if you mentally prepare your child beforehand they know exactly what is going to happen and because they now have the knowledge of the situation they seem to be calmer and well behaved.
Start talking with them about the travel, 2-3 days prior to your travelling date. Explain them the procedure and let them know if they will be well behaved, they can get some perks for their good behaviour.
GO FOR WEB CHECK-IN
By web check-in you can select the seat as per your convenience moreover you can save a lot of time by avoiding the long queue at the airport.
ARRIVE EARLY, BOARD LATE
Arrive at the airport well before time to avoid any hassle during check in your luggage and security check. You can not predict the behaviour of your child so having plenty of time in your hand can be a smart solution to avoid any last minute problem.
Arrive early but don`t be in rush to board the flight if you have a toddler with you. Board last if possible, it will cut down the overall travelling time being on the flight.
SELECT YOUR SEAT WISELY
Though we all love window seat But when you have a baby I would suggest to selecting AISLE SEAT. No, I am not kidding. I am sure you do not want to disturb another passenger because your child might not want to sit at the place or you might need to use washroom frequently. This In and Out can bother some people and they might give you weird reaction which can be a trouble in itself.
Having an AISLE SEAT can give you that privilege of moving without disturbing others.
LET YOUR CHILD HELP YOU
Allow them to help you with small things like give them their own small bag to carry, If they want, let them hold a file or any non-essential small thing. This will keep them engaged and entertained, let them be a part of the whole process which make them behave more sensibly and also they will learn a lot from this kind of experiences.
I got a small cute Trolley bag for my daughter, which she absolutely loved and pretended like she was travelling on her own. I put some chocolates, snacks, few toys and water in that bag so whenever she wanted she can use the stuff, which was making her happy because I guess she was loving the sense of independence at that time.
DITCH THE RULES
If you want to travel happily and without much stress forget the rules for a day. Let them indulge in candies, juices, toys or whatever make them happy. Trust me in that small space you won`t be able to handle any tamper tantrum thus it is better Not to expect much from your kid and let them enjoy. Phones or tablets will be a saviour for you.
FIND A PLAY AREA ON AN AIRPORT
Many airports have a play area for kids, Find it and let them play. You can grab a coffee and relax for a bit as well. Playing before a flight will keep them entertained and also help them to vent out their energy which might help them to sleep better late on.
WHAT TO CARRY FOR KIDS IN YOUR HAND LUGGAGE
- 2 pair of extra clothes for your baby and at least one pair for yourself.
- 2 pair of socks, Hand and face towels and lots of tissue paper
- Diapers, Body lotion and Diaper rash cream.
- Snacks for your kids because they might not like what they will get on the flight so be prepared with the favourite meal of your child.
- Chocolates, surprise toys, books, Colours and colouring book, stickers would be a great idea too.
- A warm jacket, A cap and an extra soft blanket.
- The Most favourite toy of your children like any soft toy or a toy car or a doll.
- Tablet or Phone
- Basic Medicines ( For cold, For fever and Ear pain). They won`t allow you to carry excess liquid so carry 2-3 doses only.
FEW EXTRA TIPS TO HAVE A STRESS-FREE JOURNEY
- Keep them hydrated as much as possible.
- Breastfeed or bottle-feed them, give them something to chew during take off or landing.
- Walk around after every 1 hour if they are awake.
- Do not force them to eat anything. Give them whatever they want to eat.
- Talk to them and play with them as much as possible.
- Do not bother what other people will think if your child is crying or you are facing any tamper tantrum. Be calm and try to look for a solution.
- Don`t be shy to breastfeed your baby.
- Ask for help if you need any.
This is all I wanted to share with you guys. There are numerous other tips which can help you but I shared what personally helped me to have a stress-free air travel.Hope you guys find it helpful.
Let me know in the comment section if you have any other tips and tricks for flying with babies. I would love to use in my next travel.
I’m taking part in the Mummy Monday linky with Becca from Becca Blogs It Out-Becca Blogs It Out
Thanks for Reading. LIKE SHARE AND SUBSCRIBE 🙂